Things to do after receiving the DIY kit.
Ordering the device
Odroid GO Advance (OGA) can be ordered from the official HardKernel site or other official distributors. Unluckily due to the coronavirus spread in China, the device is out of stock until May 2020.
I ordered on 31 Jan and it was shipped on 10 Feb and I received on 13 Feb. That was really fast. Unfortunately they used DHL Express for shipping and I have to pay additional the custom fee. So in total 67EUR (device 55USD + shipping 16USD) + 27EUR (custom).
- Official assembly guide video
- Order: LCD display (BE CAREFUL) – screen protector – joystick (screws) – other buttons – speaker – motherboard (screws) – LCD and joystick connections (BE CAREFUL) – battery + back case – L/R and power buttons – lock case pins and screws
- press power switch for 1s to turn it on: “No SD card” indication
Installing the emulation system
Will need a MicroSD card at least 8GB (up to 512GB). There are currently several OS under development:
- Default Ubuntu EmulationStation
- Others including Batocera, RetroArena, Debian, Emuelec on the OGA forum
The device doesn’t have Wifi or bluetooth. So to add games one would need
- Linux PC (eg Raspberry Pi; Mac doesn’t work) or Windows with Software that can recognize linux partition
- or using a USB-Wifi adapter (eg. TP-Link TL-WN725N) and transfering using SSH/SCP/SMB (odroid/odroid)
# ssh to manage files ssh email@example.com cd /roms # scp to copy scp <rom file> firstname.lastname@example.org:/roms/gba
Using the Scraper to get game previews
The EmulationStation has the Scraper that pulls from TheGamesDB or ScreenScraper. Press the START button to use.
Buttons and operations
- ON: press power button for 1s
- OFF: single press power button
- Force OFF: press power button for 6s
Function buttons at the bottom:
Pros and Cons
- high performance hardware (CPU RAM)
- beautiful and bright LCD screen (wide color)
- long battery life (10 hours)
- attracting price (excluding the custom fee)
- needs self-assembly
- no USB charging (extra DC cable)
- the transparent plastic case looks ugly (personal view)